Meat Technology Section
UIRI's Meat Technology Section was established in 1997 with grant aid from the Chinese government, the Common Fund for Commodities (CFC), the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, CIM/GTZ of Germany and the Government of Uganda.
Operating under UIRI's Production Systems (PS) department, the section heads the development of value-added meat products. This is done through training, R&D and provision of technical advisory support services to the meat industry.
The Section's mission is to improve the capacity and competence of indigenous meat processing enterprises by advising and training them on production of high-quality marketable meat products.
Services Offered to The Meat Industry.
- Training in all aspects of meat processing technologies.
- Product development and testing
- Advice in selection of suitable equipment and tools
- Designing production facilities
- Providing supervision during meat equipment installation
- Supervision of trial production
- Introduction of Standards Operational Procedures (SOP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) quality assurance management systems